The chief human resource officers of HR Policy Association member companies make the following policy recommendations to strengthen the relations between employers and educators so that students can make more informed career choices, receive more relevant instruction and can be better positioned for success in the workplace at the completion of their education journey:
- Students need accurate and informed career information and meaningful career guidance services.
- There should be an ongoing dialogue between educators and employers.
- Expand education in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) and enlarge the number of STEM teachers, doing more early on to motivate students to enter STEM studies.
- Elementary and secondary students need to be taught the importance of lifelong learning.
- Career and Technical Education should be expanded and promoted to support those seeking a fulfilling career in the skilled trades.
The Association’s focus in the debate is those key areas where we feel the unique perspective of those who hire can better inform the debate over the future direction of our nation’s education system.